Frequently Asked Questions
Managing Share Sessions
- How can I close out users who leave their share sessions open for too long?
- Can I have multiple concurrent share sessions running at the same time?
- Can I reuse a share code for a new share session?
- How can I get information about a share session ending?
Billing and Time
- How is the duration of the share session calculated?
- Does the price go up if there are more viewers?
- Can I try out the API without giving out my credit card?
- How can I find out how many minutes of credit I have left?
- I was testing out the API and accidentally left open a share session, so I ran out of free minutes. Is there any way for me to keep testing?
Managing Share Sessions
How can I close out users who leave their share sessions open for too long?
Can I have multiple concurrent share sessions running at the same time?
Yes, the API is designed for this. You can use the API to launch as multiple share sessions and have them all running at the same time.
Can I reuse a share code for a new share session?
Once a share session ends, you cannot use the share code again. This is because the share session duration is calculated from the time the presenter app first connects to the time the presenter ends the share session.
We do allow a share session to be reopened if it was stopped because the presenter app crashes or if the user closes his/her browser window. The latter case is because we cannot determine if the user intentionally ended the screen share or if the user is reloading the page to try to fix a connection problem. In both cases, we allow the share session to be reopened for five minutes after the share session ends.
How can I get information about a share session ending?
You can also implement the callbackUrl to have our servers send the data to your servers when the share session ends. We will make an HTTP POST request with the data about the event. The data will have a content type of "application/json". Depending on how the share session ends, there may be a delay of several minutes. (For example, if the presenter loses their internet connection, we hold the share session open a few minutes to see if the connection comes back before closing it out.) See the API Reference for Making a new share session request for more information.
Billing and Time
How is the duration of the share session calculated?
The billable time of the share session begins when all of the following are true:
- The app has opened and connected to our servers.
- At least one viewer has connected.
- The share session is not paused. (The presenter can pause/resume the share session via buttons in the console. See Make a new share session request in the API Reference for more information.)
The share session ends when the first of these cases is met:
- The user clicks the Stop button.
- The app receives an API call to stop the share session. See Stop an active share session in the API Reference for more information.
- Our servers have not heard from the app in 5 minutes. This can happen when the app closes unexpectedly or loses its internet connection.
Does the price go up if there are more viewers?
Yes, the pricing is usage-based and increases with the number of participants in a share session. Please see the API pricing page for more information.
Can I try out the API without giving out my credit card?
Absolutely! You can make a free Screenleap Developer Account to get an API key, without entering any billing information. Your first 5 hours (at the $0.01/minute/participant rate) are free so you can try out the API risk-free.
How can I find out how many minutes of credit I have left?
If you click into the Developer page under the Account menu in the upper right corner of the site, you'll find a summary of your share sessions this month, as well as how many free credits remain.
I was testing out the API and accidentally left open a share session, so I ran out of free minutes. Is there any way for me to keep testing?
Yes, please contact us for support.
Can I record a share session?
Yes, we support recording the screen during your API share session. Please see API recording for more information.
What do my users need to change in their proxy settings to allow the integration to work correctly?
You should make sure that your users have all subdomains of screenleap.com unblocked (i.e., *.screenleap.com) as well as the standard HTTP and HTTPS ports (80 and 443).
The fix is to always add a unique external ID to the viewer URL for each viewer so that we can uniquely identify each viewer.
Do you collect personally-identifiable information about the participants of my share sessions?
We never collect or retain any personally identifiable information about any of your share session participants, whether they are a presenter or a viewer. Our API has no concept of user accounts so we have no information that can tie a specific viewer to a person. We do use the IP address of the presenters to help route a share session to our closest servers, but an IP address is not considered personally identifiable information. Even so, we do not store the presenter IP address once we have used it for selecting the optimal server to service the share session.
We also do not retain any information that is shared through our service on any permanent media such as a hard disk or tape drive. All data is only retained in volatile memory that is purged within one minute of the end of a share session.