Create Session Parameter Changes (7/23/2021)
We have updated some of the parameters that you can pass in your requests to create an API share session. Please note the following changes to the parameters:
- allowEmbeddedVideoConferencing - The
enableEmbeddedVideoConferencingparameter has been renamed to
- allowFullScreenVideoConferencing - The
enableFullScreenVideoConferencingparameter has been renamed to
- useComputerAudio - The
enableComputerAudioparameter has been renamed to
- useBroadcastAudio - The
enableBroadcastAudioparameter has been renamed to
- allowRecording - The
recordVideoparameter has been renamed to
allowRecordingto take into account that we now record the screen, audio, and video.
- recordOnStart - The
autoRecordparameter has been renamed to
We have also added the following new configuration parameters:
- presenterFirstName - The first name of the presenter to display in the session launcher.
- presenterLastName - The last name of the presenter to display in the session launcher.
- useDefaultPresenterUI - Whether to use the default presenter UI for installation-free shares.
- allowScreenSharing - Whether to allow screen sharing during the share session for installation-free shares.
- allowEmbeddedVideoConferencing - Whether to allow embedded-in-screen video conferencing during the share session for installation-free shares.
- allowFullScreenVideoConferencing - Whether to allow full-screen video conferencing during the share session for installation-free shares.
- initialMediaSource - What to initially share when starting the session for installation-free shares (screen, screen with embedded camera, or camera).
- allowPause - Whether to allow presenters to pause when sharing their screens for installation-free shares.
- pauseOnStart - Whether to start with the screen paused for installation-free shares.
- allowRectangleMode - Whether to allow the presenter to enable sharing a portion of the presenter's screen using functionality provided by the add-on for installation-free shares.
- enableRectangleModeOnStart - Whether to try to start in rectangle mode for installation-free shares.
- allowViewerMouse - Whether to allow the presenter to select a viewer that will be able to point things out things on the presenter's screen for installation-free shares.
- enableViewerMouseOnJoin - Whether to try to give the last viewer to join the share session the ability to point things out on the presenter's screen for installation-free shares.
- allowRemoteControl - Whether to allow the presenter to select a viewer that will be able to control the presenter's computer for installation-free shares.
- enableRemoteControlOnJoin - Whether to try to give the last viewer to join the share session the ability to control the presenter's computer for installation-free shares.
- allowChat - Whether to allow the chat feature during share session for installation-free shares.
- showChatOnStart - Whether to show the chat box when the share session starts for installation-free shares.
Installation-Free Sharing With Default Presenter UI (5/17/2021)
We are excited to share that the installation-free sharing option that has been available on the Screenleap site is now available in our API. You will now be able to offer your users the ability to start share sessions from your website and allow them to interact with other users through screen sharing, 2-way audio conferencing, and video conferencing—all without needing anyone to install any software. All they need is a modern web browser.
With this release, you will now be able to offer installation-free sharing and viewing to all your users who are using a modern desktop browser (Chrome, Edge, or Firefox). Viewers will be able to continue to take advantage of the convenience of installation-free viewing while presenters will now also benefit from the convenience and benefits of installation-free sharing. This includes never needing to worry about needing to install a native app in order to join a share session or having to worry about a mandatory app update at an inopportune time right before an important meeting.
Default Presenter UI
To make it even easier for you to integrate with installation-free sharing, we have added a default presenter UI that you can use to get started with. The default presenter UI will show toggles for all enabled options as well as buttons for change the screen source and for stopping the share session.
If you want to create a completely custom UI for your integration, you can disable the default presenter UI by
useDefaultPresenterUI=false in your request to create a new share session.
Audio Conferencing and Video Conferencing
Our long-term goal at Screenleap has always been to make it ridiculously easy for you to enable live-collaboration on your website or web app. As a step towards achieving that goal, we are excited to also announce that you can now enable 2-way audio conferencing and video conferencing when using our new installation-free sharing option. This will allow you to give your presenters the ability to chat with their viewers through their computer's microphone and speakers and also share their screen and webcam video with them. 2-way audio conferencing is currently in beta and video conferencing is currently in an experimental state, so they are not always guaranteed to work. Please alert us of any issues that you discovered so we can investigate them.
To enable 2-way audio conferencing, add
enableComputerAudio=true to your create share session request. To enable
video conferencing, add
allowFullScreenVideoConferencing=true to your create screen share request.
New API Defaults (5/9/2021)
We have updated some of the defaults that you can specify in your requests to create an API share session and in your viewer URL. Please note the following changes to the defaults:
- includeDefaultPresenterUI - We are now supporting a default presenter UI for installation-free API share sessions.
It will be enabled by default. If you would like to disable it so you can create your own custom presenter UI using our lower-level
API calls, you will need to include
includeDefaultPresenterUI=falsein your create share session request.
- showResize - This viewer URL parameter will now default to true. If you do not want the resize controls to be visible, please include
showResize=falsein the viewer URL.
- showStop - This viewer URL parameter will now default to true. If you do not want the stop button to be shown to viewers, please include
showResize=falsein the viewer URL.
Version 2 (10/16/2013)
The following options are new in version 2 of the Screenleap API, released fall 2013. For v1 documentation, see https://www.screenleap.com/api/v1.
Presenter App Types
Two new presenter app types are available for sharing:
- Native app - These presenter apps run natively on your users' machines, which means it is not necessary for your users to install additional third-party software (such as Java).
- Browser extension - The browser extension takes seconds to install and allows your users to easily share the contents of a web browser without downloading any additional software.
Share Session Options
We have added new configuration options for the new share session request:
showScreenleapBranding- Puts the Screenleap logo in the viewer top bar and console title bar, in place of your company name. Non-SSL share sessions with this option are billed at a discounted rate.
hideStopButton- Hide the stop button on the presenter console.
hidePauseButton- Hide the pause button on the presenter console.
hideScreenToggle- Hide the drop-down for toggling between partial and full screen mode.
startPaused- Launch the share session in a paused state. This ensures that no data is sent to viewers until after the presenter has finished setting up and unpauses the share session.
false, you can provide a title to use in the viewer top bar and console title bar, in place of your company name.
language- Localization is now available for both the presenter console and viewer page. Contact us for more details.
You can view a complete list of available options in the API Reference.
The following new viewer options can be added to the viewer URL as query string parameters:
externalId- You may now pass in an external ID of up to 32 characters to save with the viewer data in a share session. This can be useful for later connecting share session viewer connections to records on your system. If passed in, the external ID needs to be unique for each viewer in a share session. Assigning the same external ID to multiple viewers in a share session will break viewing for the share session.
fitToWindow- By default, share sessions are shown at their actual size to viewers to ensure the best image quality. Set this option to
trueto resize the screen to fit within the user's browser window.
Please see Viewer Integration for a complete list of viewer options.
screenleap.onScreenShareStart- Called after the presenter app is successfully initialized.
screenleap.onScreenShareEnd()- Called when the share session ends.
screenleap.error(action, message, err)- Called when the screen share presenter encounters an error. The
actionwill provide information about the context in which the error occurred; the
messagemay provide more details to help you troubleshoot; the
errmay be either an
Errorobject or an
XmlHttpRequestobject, depending on the nature of the error.
screenleap.onViewerConnect(externalId, participantId)- Called when a new viewer joins the share session.
screenleap.onViewerDisconnect(externalId, participantId)- Called when a viewer leaves the share session.
screenleap.pauseSharing(successCallback, errorCallback)- Pause an active share.
screenleap.resumeSharing(successCallback, errorCallback)- Resume a paused share.
There are several options that now configured from your Developer Account Settings, rather than be passed in to requests as query string parameters:
- Logo - If you upload a logo, the logo will be used in the viewer top bar in place of your company name.
- Callback on end URL - Enter the URL where you would like to receive data about a share session. When the share session ends, we will make a POST request to the URL with basic data about the share session in JSON format.
- Redirect-on-end URL - We will redirect your viewers to this URL when their share session ends.
- Redirect-on-error URL - We will redirect your viewers to this URL if there is an error loading the share session.
Changes from Version 1
New pricing went into effect on July 1, 2013, which bills according to the number of participants in a share session and the features being used. Please see Pricing for more information.
Share Session Options
showStopButtonis depreceated, replaced with
showPauseButtonis deprecated, replaced with
showScreenToggleis deprecated, replaced with
isPausedis deprecated, replaced with
callbackOnEndUrlis deprecated, replaced with Developer Account Settings.
redirectOnEndUrlis deprecated, replaced with Developer Account Settings.
redirectOnErrorUrlis deprecated, replaced with Developer Account Settings.
titleLinkUrlhas been deprecated, use
resizehas been deprecated, use
screenleap.screenShareEndedhas been renamed to
screenleap.onScreenShareEndis no longer passed the share session data as a JSON object. Instead, you should implement the callback on end URL in the Developer Account Settings. This is both more reliable (since it is not dependent on the user web page or internet connection) and more accurate, since the data comes from our servers.